The Congenital Disorders of Glycosylation (CDG) are an expanding group of inborn errors of metabolism. Most of these genetic defects result in severe disease, mental retardation and physical handicap. EUROGLYCANET promotes (early) diagnosis by offering the diagnostic tools for screening as well as for expert analysis and by raising awareness. It integrates research activities in the field, and works towards the development of therapies for CDG and related disorders.
To fulfil these aims, EUROGLYCANET offers :
- diagnostic services and expert diagnostics;
- manages a sample flow through the different laboratories involved in this activity;
- maintains database and a public website;
EUROGLYCANET will also raise awareness by
- providing information to the public and to physicians and other professionals, and by
- offering training to expert clinicians and researchers in the field;
To foster research
- it selects interesting cases for further investigations;
- it has established an international research forum and organizes regular congresses, where clinical and basic scientists meet;
- it promotes collaborations with companies for the development of therapeutics;
- the integration of clinical and basic research groups within the network is a strong advantage in this respect.
EUROGLYCANET will also
- increase quality and standardization by offering QA schemes and
- spread and promote access to diagnostic services by installing (additional) referral centers in different European countries.
Co-ordination: Prof. G. Matthijs, KATHOLIEKE UNIVERSITEIT LEUVEN, Belgium.